Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: What workplace & employment topics would you like to chat about?

For instance, I've had the experience of being given a position only to have had it taken away because of psych history. Even though the reason they knew about it, was through me disclosing it via their very own procedure, seeking clearance from medical professionals. They recieved those clearances, and decided they somehow knew better. Better luck next year, they said.

It was an international position so not much realistic hope challenging it, but just knowing that this was indeed very wrong, by definition discrimination, and by Australian standards something that I could take the employer to court over... knowing all that could be the difference between becoming completely disempowerment and empowerment.

Another lived example is a current one. I work in the services industry, as do a great many with MI's (some of this because it appeals, some because we are pushed toward it with limitations in funding etc).
It is useful to know about workplace agreements and EBA's, so as to know employers cannot push you about. For instance, written into my relevant agreement is that I cannot do less than one hours paid work. So if I'm called in to cover half an hour, they pay me 1 hour, thanks.

My entire team was this year told that if we miss two days of the same shift (our shifts are as such that we have a commitment to that same group of clients the same time each week, so for instance I might have a Tuesday morning shift and a Friday afternoon shift), we lose that shift. Sickness not an exemption, was the definition we were clearly given in the staff meeting, when asked for clarification numerous times.

I confronted my manager and they maintain it's bot illegal. Something to do with the fact they cannot in fact enforce it if someone is ill and providing a medical certificate. Lol. Of course. Ugh. So they maintain it is entirely ethical and necessary to place that threat despite knowing they cannot in fact do it. Meanwhile they further justified it to me by giving examples of how three other competitors are inplememting the same practice. Ha, very reassuring.

This is real, and as a group of people already so marginalised and in doubt of our worth, I really think it helps to give such practical advice as read your EBA, turn to workchoices phonelines, talk to unions, when something comes up that gives you a yuck feeling but you are not equipped to label the precise injustice. Often, in my experience, yuck feelings are reliable instincts.

Re: What workplace & employment topics would you like to chat about?

I'd like to hear about finding the right job after mental illness strikes. I had a long term career doing something I enjoyed, but I've had to give it up due to my worsening mental health. It's hard to face the prospect of starting over at an entry level and low paying role since I have degrees and qualifications. I am lost trying to figure out what to do.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance