Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Partners who chose to stay for the long haul

Been a rough week here but trudging on lol

Hi @Lost1 

We sometimes have to look quite hard for the LOL in a rough week. What's been happening?

are you ok @Lost1 , we are here for you xx

Hello @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope , @Determined , @Former-Member 

@Karro 

Come and meet some other carers of their partners. @Shaz51 knows the sadness of an attempt too (and she is a cat lover - I am.allergic). 

Hello @Karro HeartHeart, sending you a knowing hug xxxx

Feel free to ask any questions @Karro,  if we can help, we will.

Hi Darcy and Shaz51

thanks,  I guess I'm going through my own grief and shock of dealing with how close he came this time.  He ended up in ICU in an induced coma, with machines breathing for him.  The most shocking part for me was how he reacted when he finally woke up.  He discharged himself against doctors advice, walked out of the hospital and carried on as if nothing happened.  I was and still am reeling from the experience.  I am so angry and confused right now.  Still trying to just carry on as best I can.  I hope I feel better in a few days as I have to go back to work.      

I am surprised they did not apply for a treatment order @Karro . Is he still at risk? Do you have any contact with his treatment and care team?  

Beyond Blue have info on how to care for yourself (as well as your partner) in relation to this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/suicide...

Often psychological support for ourselves is really helpful. Carers Australia offer some free counseling services. 

Hey Darcy

He answered all the right questions when the mental health team assessed him.  He did not present with any acute symptoms of psychosis and when asked if he wanted to self harm in anyway he said no.  They signed him off as being ok.  ICU were going to move him to a medical ward but he requested to discharge himself from the hospital and there was nothing they could do.  This is the reality of the mental health system.  We are fairly new to the area so one good thing that came from this is finding a good GP and an urgent referral to a private psychiatrist which my husband agreed to seeing.  I went with him.  We're kinda done with the public system.  I also have made contact with a carer support service locally but still waiting for them to get back to me.  I will look into carer's qld too.  Feeling a bit stronger tonight and know that I can carry on.  I will carry on but for the first time I realise I need some help and can't do it alone anymore.  Thanks for you post and I will look into Beyond Blue as well.  

@Karro 

Living grief = companion of carers - this mini carer info course is really helpful and it talks about this.

http://mhr4c.com.au

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance