Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jo4
Casual Contributor

Partner Type II Bipolar decided to ‘unburden’

Hi all,

My partner waa diagnosed 24 months ago with type 2 bi polar, but has probably suffered with it for years. He was spiralling last year and earlier this year had a form of breakdown. He has been seeing a psychologist weekly and his psychiatrist monthly and is in a severe state of depression. 

Last night he decided to share what has been causing him grief. He wants to go find his libido again and wants to do so with other women but he doesn’t want to lose me. Further discussion really went down the path of he valuing our relationship but it not serving his need to be risk taking. He doesn’t want to explore more daring things with me, he wants adventure outside the home. 

What really hurt was the realisation that his default has been stringing me along for years with promises of things that he had no intention of doing and that whenever he feels challenged he has bullied or lied his way out of it. 

Basically he wants my oermission to go explore but also wants our relationship to stay intact. I really don’t expect advice here, just appreciate sharing. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Partner Type II Bipolar decided to ‘unburden’

Hi @Jo4,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story so openly and honestly. This must be a really difficult time for both of you and I hope that you have also had some support from others, either professionally or personally, in this time.

How are you feeling? You don't have to answer if you prefer, but know that others are here with you.

Thanks Ali11. I’m feeling sad, numb. Today he says he didn’t mean any of it and was babbling, but I don’t believe that. Thanks for reaching out. 

How are you today @Jo4? Have you spoken more with him about what was said and how you both feel?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance