Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Neverendinstory
New Contributor

Medication

Can anybody tell me which combination of meds are successful for breakthrough symptoms of schizophrenia after cessation of an apparently very successful medication that has caused severe bowel blockages and serious abdominal surgery twice in the last three years for my son.

4 REPLIES 4
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Re: Medication

Hey @Neverendinstory welcome to the forums, I hope you find it to be a supportive and welcoming community. 

I just wanted to let you know that as part of our Community Guidelines, members aren't allowed to discuss the specifics of medications, including names (other than generic, like 'antipsychotics' for example). This is to keep our community safe by ensuring folks are only seeking medical advice from medical professionals. 

I hope your son is able to find the right combo that doesn't give him such nasty side-effects! 

oooo @Neverendinstory ! I know what you are talking about! It's terrible. I've heard of perforated bowels from medication for schizophrenia. Ouch. 

I can name medication, but they do have something available. I don't think it is as good, but it works. Best to speak to your son's treating team about it. After having 2 surgeries, I'm sure that he qualifies for a med review - does he not?

I hear you are worried. I hear you are concerned. Your concerns are valid @Neverendinstory - as with any parent's.

Hope you find something soon.

His meds have been changed through my insistance and advocacy.

However he is experiencing breakthrough noise twice a week. Possibly through anxiety of anticipating this noise.

I would really like to know if there is somebody with expertise in knowing which combination of meds will help to stop this noise.  His treating team do not know what to do!  There has to be somebody in the mental health profession who has some suggestions as my son would not be first person in the world to experience bowel blockages, appendix rupturing, and now hernia surgery at the same site of previous surgeries.  His treating team have suggested he has to live with noise and manage it better.!  I wonder if they could manage?

I curious to know what your son thinks of it @Neverendinstory . Does he think he can like a fulfilling life even though he experiences noise? 

Some people live very successfully with their MH - not because of the absence of symptoms, but moreso that they can manage it better.

I included. I have chronic suicidal ideation. To people out there, it seems 'wrong' or abnormal, but I've learnt that it's okay for me and my MH condition. It's one of the symptoms. I live better than well. I used to be bogged down trying to get rid of what I thought was 'abnormal'... but now, I've had a huge turnaround.

Of course it would be ideal for the noise to cease, but I'm curious to know if psychotherapy will help your son with the anxiety around the noise etc?

Only a thought here, of course. I don't know your son's condition at all. I certainly here how much you care and are concerned for him. And I'm glad you have reached out. I hope others will be able to share their lived experience of schizophrenia with you as I'm sure there are others who have been through something similar.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance