Skip to main content

Re: Not Coping

Whenever I had these thoughts, my psychologist would work with me to 'get acquainted' with the discomfort. I hate this strategy.

So I'd sit there, and he would ask me questions:

1) where do you feel it?

2) how heavy is it?

3) what colour is it?

4) what texture is it?

etc.

I'd sit there and cringe - I didn't care what it looked like or what colour it was, I just wanted it GONE!

However, i just obliged and did what he said. After practicing this skill every week, I realised that the technique gave me distance between when I was feeling and reality.... I was no longer 'fused' with my emotion... and I learnt to sit with it.

Whatever this technique does, it seems to work - but requires practice...

Mmm okay I’m cringing as well thinking about it but I will give it ago. Thanks @tyme 

You may need a therapist to help you at first...

I honestly cringed at this thought. I really HATED doing it..

The ultimate effect is 'defusion'. https://thepsychologygroup.com/defusion/

You can have a read if you are interested. 

So my technique is one of the many ways to defuse @Birdofparadise8 

I'm actually impressed that you are even wiling to give it a go! If I heard such I thing back then, I'd laugh and brush it off.

Good on you for giving things a go!

Thank you I will try anything as what I’m doing now isn’t working so I’ll have to give it a go. @tyme 

Sorry for jumping in @Birdofparadise8.

I did try this when @tyme suggested it to me and I went to bed and thought it through. I did feel pretty odd. The next night it was still there but I felt it was a lighter colour and a smoother shape. 

But I have to be honest I did forget about doing it after that. 

Not problem at all @Captain24 I will take any advice I can get. I will give it a go tonight and then ask my psychologist about it when I see him Thursday. 

How are you @Captain24 

I’m not doing overly well @Birdofparadise8. But it doesn’t really matter. I’m starting to get use to it. 

Hope you are starting to feel a little

more at ease

Sorry to hear that @Captain24 I definitely know what you mean about getting used to it. It feels like the new normal if you get what I mean. 

I’m not either but oh well. We can all support each other to get better. 

Yep it’s my new normal @Birdofparadise8. Some days I don’t know if I’ll ever get better. 
I really hope for you that you will get a much better new normal! 

Thank you I hope you can improve and enjoy the season after this one is over. @Captain24