Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Sister with Psychosis

What's the nature of her paranoia? Perhaps it stem from unresolved childhood trauma? I am not an expert nor am I really qualified but I do  feel psychiatry only solve the "technical" issue of hallucinations and other, and I am only using this for a lack of a better word, malfunctioning of the brain whereas with paranoia it could be something like trust issues, abandonment issues.

I have heard that it's best not to deny their beliefs outright as that would cause a major conflict in bridging the reality gap between you two. I heard that it's recommended that you at least entertain their point of view and try to lead them to the light in this way. It's not mentally ill people don't have logic and their own reasons for believing the things that they do it's just that their reasons can be hard to grasp. 

Once again I am not qualified but I have some lived experience you can say and I just want the best for your sister. 

Hi there @WokeThisWay ,

Good to see you. Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing your insights.

Hi @pablom ,

This is awesome news! I'm so happy for you. Hopefully, this will give her the chance to understand her options better and discuss her reasons for modifying her treatment. But, at least, she can be fully supported while she's making choices and your parents also can be more informed about what to watch for (if treatment is altered). 

By the way, do you know if your parents are getting any support as carers? Have they reached out to the Carers Gateway or Tandem (I'm sorry I writing from Victoria and I am not sure whether these organisations are national ones or not). If not, it might be worth checking information on this website:

https://www.mentalhealthcarersaustralia.org.au/mental-health-carers/mental-health-carer-support/

It might be good for your parents to get connected and have support themselves. Let us know how your sister is going and look after yourself 🙂

I have lived with this syndrome and a family member .Of course they lack insight .

I needed to go to the mental health team in our area ( fortunately at that time he was still with their practice) Eventually he had to be on an almost continuous community treatment order with injections as medication.

It is not good but what choices are there.Lack of insight is part of the illness for many people.The alternative is leave the person untreated which has all sorts of risks even to their lifestyle and reputation.

I have yet to find a GP who can manage serious chronic mental health conditions.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance