Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

PlantLover
Senior Contributor

Stopping medication

I've been doing really well, I think it's time for me to stop one of my medications. Ive been on it for 8 years, without it I wouldnt be here today. My life is great at the moment and I have my BPD and PTSD under control.
I have tried stopping this medication before, and failed miseably. I go back to my usual ways. As soon as i get to half of my usual dose im super emotional, depressed, nightmares, flashbacks, thoughts of self harming and suicide.
This time I want to be really prepared. Lots of supports from a psychiatrist and pschologist. Going into an inpatient unit if i have to. Focusing on mindfulness/yoga etc.
I'm looking for advice. Those of you that decided to stop a medication, what helped you get through to the other side?
Thank you.

37 REPLIES 37

Re: Stopping medication

Hi and welcome, @PlantLover ! I like your username! 

I have no advice for you I'm afraid, as personally I never want to go back to how I was before the medication. But it's good you want to do it with the supports of your psychologist and psychiatrist. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a member's name in the drop-down box, they will get a notification that you've replied to them. 

I hope you enjoy the forums.

Oh thank you @NatureLover.

The reason why I want to stop the medication is because it gives me heart palpitations about an hour after taking them and it zonks me out over night. I want to have my own children/do foster care so I want to be off it so I'm not so out of it at night time and can wake properly if I need to. I'll have to work really hard to conquer my insomnia, as without this medication I will struggle to sleep.

Oh gosh, @PlantLover , so many people here would love to be zonked out overnight! But I do understand that you want to look after /have your own children. Would you need to check that you'd be allowed to foster when off your medication, though? (My apologies if you've already checked this out) It's very noble of you, as personally I can't cope with insomnia.

I'm glad you already have the support of a psychologist and psychiatrist. BPD and PTSD are pretty horrendous, as I've found out since joining these forums. Wishing you all the best...

And that's why I loved the medication so much when I went on it, insomnia sucks. 
I'm only going to get off my medication if I'm able to stay well on it. If I can't I will just try to stay on a lower dose. My aim is to hopefully get onto a lower dosage or stop it all together and still keep doing well. If I find that I have to stay on my dose to keep well and healthy, then that's just what I'll have to do. But It's worth a try. 
I actually am looking for a pschologist and psychiatrist at the moment, as I haven't needed them for a long time now. My BPD hasn't been an issue for me for a few years. I'm currently doing my research to find the right therapists for me.

Thank you 🙂

@PlantLover wrote:

I actually am looking for a pschologist and psychiatrist at the moment, as I haven't needed them for a long time now. My BPD hasn't been an issue for me for a few years. I'm currently doing my research to find the right therapists for me.

Oh, I hadn't realised you didn't have that suppport in place yet. Good luck getting set up with the supports, @PlantLover .

@PlantLover wrote:

I'm only going to get off my medication if I'm able to stay well on it. If I can't I will just try to stay on a lower dose.

That's sounds like a good plan. Best wishes...

Hi @PlantLover ,

I've come off meds for Bipolar II.  I think the main thing is to be prepared and to try and stay positive.  I found having something to focus on helped, for me it was hobbys and exercise.  I think you just need time and patience, it takes time to clean your body and mind from the substances that you/we were prescribed.  I had hoped for more immediate benefits and outcomes, but, that didn't eventuate like I hoped.  

Overall I still feel like it was worth doing.  There is an old thread here called 'coping box' that you might find helpful.  I wish you all the best with it, even if it doesn't work out, you can try again when you are ready.

Take Care

Gary

Thank you so much @Gazza75. Around about how long from start to finish did it take for you to completely stop the medication? Did your issues get quite worse as you went down on them? Did they just settle in time?

Hey @PlantLover ,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I have been on medication for BPD and PTSD for over 15 years now. Research shows medication does not in itself help BPD. So I am totally with you when you say you do not want to continue the meds. I was on the max dose of my antidepressant and have been for a very long time. There were intense side effects weaning off this medication however I was prepared. I did it slowly. In a matter of a few months I reduced 3/4 of my dose. 

I am still on medication to help me sleep but I am looking also to reduce that one in the future. I'll be honest with you, I don't think a psychiatric ward admission would be beneficial. Perhaps a prevention and recovery centre (PARC) would be better. I'm not sure if you have any in your area.

Like you, I have learnt to love life. I have learnt to live with my BPD and appreciate it for what it is. I also don't feel I need medication anymore, but the key is to reduce it slowly, and one medication at a time. This allows you to know where your baseline is, and work with that baseline. If it means you need a maintenance dose, it is not wrong. It doesn't mean you have failed. It may just mean that your body needs it for now, but you can look to reduce that in the future. Reducing medication shouldn't be rushed.

I'm totally in on this with you @PlantLover . For me, it is also children that keep me going.... I work with them every day (I also get to hand them back every day).

All the best! Let me know if you have any other questions.
BPDSurvivor

Thanks so much for your reply @BPDSurvivor.

What helped you through the side effects? What were the side effects for you, and how long did they take? I understand every person and every medication is different, if just love to hear your experience.

I remember going to PARC when I was in Victoria years ago. But I'm not sure if Queensland has then. I'll have to do some research.

Oh that's lovely! There's something about children that just instantly change my mood. They love me right when I need it. Xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance