Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // 19 Jan, 7pm AEDT // Music Therapy

Some great discussions about how different music affects people in different ways. This is actually what the research says!

People used to think that there was a specific type of music that was best for relaxation or sleeping etc. However, the current research actually shows that the most important thing is to use whatever music you prefer and that you feel works for you. This will be something different for everyone. In a typical day, I might work on relaxation with three clients where I go from playing and singing Metallica, to Adele, to 1920's folk songs.

@PeppiPatty I work with people of all ages at the moment, so the music just varies so much!  I have to say though that I play a lot of Simon & Garfunkle, Beatles, Adele, and Bob Dylan.   All good lyricists, maybe that's the connection ???

I did a drama presentation to a song Iris by Goo Goo Dolls when I was 15. 18 years later that song still resonates with me. I don't know how this would be psychoanalysed!!?? Hahahahaha!

Sorry PP, we can not give away where we live while on the forums here , your welcome to wr write your last post and re send it 🙂

im sorry i better go.....my dog Arlo, is named after Arlo Gutherie and.....his Dad Woody who influenced Bob Dylan (lol) thank you so much......

Bye @PeppiPatty! Thanks for joining us. We'll be here until 9 AEDT if you want to join us a bit later.

@Former-Member  Glee clubs are just local singing groups. There are all different types, but I know of several where there is no ongoing committment, no auditions, and no solos.  Its a great way to enjoy making music with people, without some of the pressure of being in a music group. They only go for an hour or so, so it also doesn't matter if you don't know anyone because you just sing and then leave (although of course, you can be more social if you like!).

Doing  group music can be great for feeling social; drumming groups are a great way to express your feelings without words and you get to feel connected to other people; singing or playing music can be a great way to let out your frustrations, sadness, anger, joy, love etc.

That sounds fun! @LM_Bee how can we find glee clubs or other music groups in our local area if we want to give it a go?

@Jacques  I wouldn't say that playing an instrument or listening to music is better than the other.  It's all about what you find enjoyable, meaningful, and helpful.  Playing an instrument can be great to "let out" some of what you are feeling and to express yourself creatively. Learning an instrument can be a great way to stay focussed, and feel like you are achieving something. Listening to music is often more accessible, and be a companion to you wherever you are. 

I would like to get involved in something group wise, but its really hard to find something and child care at times. 

LJ