Skip to main content

Re: Ask us anything about Peer Support Work

@Talzy_T with the Cert IV, the assessments only need you to demonstrate competency. There are written components, but in my experience they were only scored as a tick box to demonstrate competency (very different to university style grades) 🙂

I did the fast track Cert IV, so the assessments might look a bit different, but I did some short written assessments, some role plays and some conversation based assessments 🙂

Hi @Gwynn ,

I've just caught up on reading through this thread. It certainly was an interesting read! 

I wanted to share my experiences of peer work with you (in relation to your question - Do you find that you burn out more because you're working closely with mental illness all the time?)

From my experience, I find the forums such a refreshing. It seems that being on the forums supporting others really does lift my own sense of my recovery. I find other things tend to cause the burn out, and not the forums aspect of peer work.

Like @Daisydreamer has mentioned, for me, peer work has reciprocated benefits. As I reach out to others, I seem to receive so much back in terms of supporting my MH. 

It's great with SANE because even within peer work, there are many different roles. Some peer workers prefer face-to-face work, some prefer counselling, while others forums. So i think it's about finding something that suits you. My stress levels will probably spike in some other peer worker roles. I think it's so important to find a space where you feel comfortable.

Hope this sheds a different light on your question.

Thanks for reading,

tyme

What kinds of different roles are available in peer work? How does one become a peer worker policy wonk, are there such roles?

Am I right in assuming a servant-leadership position is the appropriate one to take in peer work?

@Daisydreamer Thanks for all your help, really this discussion forum has bought me so much guidance and a lot of informative information that I never thought would be possible.

Also to those users I haven't mentioned, thank you so much!!

@Daisydreamer I'm currently under way in doing a Cert IV mental health peer work but there's also an option to do a dual certificate along side Cert IV Mental Health, do you think this is worth doing? or I'm better off just studying the peer work certification? I'm asking this because the intake for dual certification is on August and I don't want to wait that long. 

Hi @Talzy_T,

So glad to hear you are finding this conversation helpful!

You could study both if you wanted to, however the Cert IV in Mental Health isn't a requirement of a peer work role, if you are already studying the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work 🙂

Where it could be helpful is if you are thinking of studying something in the mental health field at university in future, as you can get advanced standing in some universities 🙂

Hi Everybody,

I've decided to withdraw from the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work as I attended the orientation they said if you were going through some mental health struggles that it would be hard to continue with this course, the workload also was a bit too much for me to handle. This was a part time course but I'm going through mental health struggles at the moment and most of the time it has been inconsistent and unpredictable.

Instead I'm now trying to do volunteer roles and apply for them, please advise what time volunteer roles would be suitable for me to do so I can get relative work experience for peer support work? Since I'm not doing the course anymore.

@Daisydreamer @Former-Member @tyme 

As previously mentioned in my previous post.

What volunteer roles be suited towards becoming a peer support worker? as I'm looking for work experience that will benefit me towards the role. 

I'm no longer looking to study for Cert IV as it may affect my mental health.

Hey @Talzy_T ! 

Your support and experience through these forums is definitely a step in the right direction if you are looking into peer work. 

I never thought I'd thrive on peer work, but I absolutely do! And where did it begin? Right here on the forums. The more I got involved, the more experience I received. That way, you can see whether peer work is the right fit for you. Gives you a taste of the real thing.

Also, when Community Guide role applications open, I'd encourage you to have a look.

All the best,

tyme

Morning @Talzy_T

@tyme provided some great advice – getting involved in the Forums as a Community Guide will definitely provide a wonderful opportunity to gain experience in peer work. Another tip is to look at advertised peer worker roles and scan the requirements/experience, an example can be found here.

A Cert IV in MHPSW would certainly help, as would experience in volunteer community roles such as Lifeline or a volunteer role at a local hospital etc. Anything where you have experience supporting people in the community, and all the better if you're able to use your lived experience within that role.