Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lauravee
New Contributor

Confused, lost and concerned, questioning my diagnosis

Hi there

I have been diagnosed with depression for the last 20 years, multiple medications and dose increases. Nothing quite works, ongoing extreme depressive episodes (to the point that I do not recognise the things I have done afterwards and occasional hospitalisation)

My daughter was born last year, cue postnatal depression and anxiety. Which I have, I believe conquered. But there is still this ongoing history and continual episodes. 
My partner recently mentioned he believed I had some symptoms for Bipolar 2, after dealing with me for years he had been researching for a while. After my most recent episode he needed quite a long break from me, which I retreated to my parents, after receiving clarity after my episode I spoke to my mum, she mentioned approx 10 years ago she suspected bipolar however this has never been mentioned from my doctors, so she left it.

I initially thought this could not be me, I am never happy, I could not relate to these hypanic episodes!

After more research I did find some information that sometimes hypomania can just come out as energetic but agitated, which I can relate to 100%
I also have long phases of what I call feeling 'normal'.

I have several upcoming appointments but I think I just need some form of reassurance that I am doing the right thing by bringing this up with my doctor, there is a part of my mind saying, they are the doctor not me, doing some research doesn't mean anything, going to the doctor and bringing this up terrifies me.

Can anyone relate to any of this 😞

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Confused, lost and concerned, questioning my diagnosis

A health professional is the only one who can make a definite diagnosis. Some antidepressants can cause a form of hypomania - which can make it difficult to differentiate between Major Depressive Disorder and Bipolar Disorder in some cases. Past history is very important as is drug history (both illegal and legal). Best to speak with a mental health professional.

You are definitely doing the right thing bringing it up with your doctor as treatment strategies can be very different.

Hope this helps.

Flax

@Lauravee 

when my bloke is manic he is always very irritable and explodes with rage at the slightest little thing. Not happy at all.

@Lauravee 

Welcome to the forums. When I get hypomania or mania I get very irritable to go along with it which is the warning sign I pick up on otherwise I just think that I feel normal or having a good time. My bipolar leans more to the depressed side though. I definitely think it's worth mentioning to your psychiatrist so they can consider it as a possibility for diagnosis. The treatment for mood disorders can be a little different. Even just to rule it out.

Meggle

I also suffered post natal depression 26 years ago and that's when my battle with depression started. After recovering from post natal I went on to experience servere bouts of depression and was diagnosed with major depressive condition. In the last 15 years or so I at times have also done things that I can't believe of myself. I have only recently been diagnosed with a personality disorder as well and am currently coming to terms with this and seeking help. The reason for me sharing all this with you is to say absolutely raise your concerns with your doctor and perhaps even seek out a psychiatrist to further diagnose /support you. This forum is also a wonderful platform for support, help and guidance. I really wish you well xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance