Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

So exhausted

Before I start.... yes I'm complaining but sometimes complaining to strangers is all you need so hear me. I do love my family so very much, I do absolutely love them. And I did anticipate some level of exhaustion but this is beyond what I thought possible in a human being so yep. I feel guilty complaining because I do love my family more than life itself but here I am. 

I am so tired. I am exhausted right to the core both physically and emotionally. I work all day from early morning to early evening, then I get home and I help out at home, I don't sit down until late at night. I feel bad for complaining because my partner is home with our three week old and three year old all day, every day and that is exhausting too, we aren't making comparisons. I am just so tired. I am exhausted. I'm working myself to the ground each day and then coming home to do more work and then not sleeping at night time because of said child/infant (perfectly reasonable). 
I feel like I can barely hold it together for much longer because I'm so just exhausted, needing to work and run a business to feed my family and pay the rent but barely functioning due to complete exhaustion. The novelty of having a younger sibling to our three year old has worn off and he's perhaps not getting enough attention (oops) and chucking regular tantrums that result in biting or kicking and I just can't. I love them all so much but I'm ruined at the moment. I want to spend time with them after work and be happy dad, but how can I when I'm exhausted down to my bones. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: So exhausted

Hi @ArraDreaming no children here (I'm 58 now), but I am hearing you about the exhaustion you are experiencing. Wondering how it was for you when your first child was born, and if there was anything you did then that helped, and could again. Wishing you well.

Hi @ArraDreaming 

I wanted to let you know I hear you and am sitting with you. 

There is a lot on your shoulders right now, and it sounds like you are doing absolutely everything you can to be both present at work and present with your family- it is understandable you are feeling exhuasted. The exhaustion is something we hear from people who are adjusting to the new way of life after a new addition to the family, maybe some of our fellow parents in the forums might be able to jump in and share their experiences.

I hope that being able to put the words in writing here alleviates even a little bit of that pressure for you- we are always here to listen. 

Hi @Mazarita Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer, our new baby is the first for my partner and I, as the oldest child is my partners from a previous relationship, I have been around since he was 1. 

But then I feel bad for being like this, I'm not resentful or angry at them, and I'm not complaining even though it sound like it, I do really really love them don't get me wrong @Daisydreamer  just never felt this level of exhaustion 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance