Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Weak and WEARY.

Literally my whole body hurts.

Today (yesterday), I didn't eat for a long time. I ate a decent meal at 5:00AM, and then almost nothing until around 7:00PM. Unfortunately, I didn't drink either, and so I have been HEAVILY dehydrated.

I had three shots of coffee, a small banana, a few sips of Coke and a few sips of water... all day.

I am a tad concerned. Apparently "severe" dehydration won't get better by itself, you need hospital treatment. Dehydration can also cause organ damage... umm, WHAT?!

I tried to work tonight, and I couldn't. I left forty minutes in. I was dreading work, because I knew how much pain I was in.

If I got any worse, my plan was to call an ambulance to the store, but there was no-one there that I trusted. I should have called an ambulance after I left, but after an hour of contemplating what to do, I was too embarrassed to call 000.

I just went home. I told my supervisor that I was going to go to hospital, though. Hopefully they don't think I'm lying.

I work tomorrow night as well. My manager's in tomorrow night, and I've probably got a lot to explain...

Do you want to know how it started? I had a great night at work last night, and then with fifteen minutes to go, I saw my ex leaving. I saw/heard her for literally thirty seconds, and that was enough to set a thought spiral off. I deliberately stopped eating. I just didn't realise not drinking could [...] you up so much.

I'm really ashamed. I'm weak. Physically and mentally.

I'm going to take care of myself tomorrow. I want to get lots of sleep, and eat and drink properly. Apparently it takes three days to recover, unless, as I mentioned, you need intervention. I was doing so well, and I [...] it up.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Weak and WEARY.

@Former-Member 

Are you eating and drinking now?  The other option is go to the chemist and get a hydralite which is like a suped up gatoraide. 

What was the thought that you had that started all this?  Its the missing peice to your understanding  story without it.

So next time you're triggered by seeing your ex, what's your plan for dealing with the trigger in a healthy way instead?

@Former-Member

Hello florenceforty,

The idea of keeping a water bottle nearby was never terribly appealing to me, however, I now try to remember to keep a litre of water with me most of the time. This way, I just take a mouthful or two whenever I think about it, or feel thirsty. I normally have about two litres of water each day in this way. Because I use a staff, to assist with walking, I normally have a backpack wherever I go, to carry smallish items and shopping, so it is easy to carry a litre of water in the pack.

"

Food intake is not required to be as regular as water. Even so, reduced fluid intake is not likely to have significantly adverse effects unless it is very hot and you have high fluid loss from perspiration etc, combined with ignoring normal thirst signals and requirements, with no additional fluid intake. While I can't offer medical advice, it sounds as though the situation that you are experiencing would not meet those conditions.

"

It appears to me that your situation, with regard to the person you have described, is what you need to address, in order to move forward in and with your life. Maybe the first thing to change is the reference to "my ex". The other person is a person in their own right, no longer attached to you, except, in your mind, internally and externally, by you referring to them as "my ex". With this term, you are conveying a remaining sense of ownership. Not necessarily, of the person, but of a type of remnant of relationship, that appears, from what you have said, to no longer exist. That is, despite the hurt and pain that the acknowledgement of that fact involves. It is by using the term "my ex" that you keep the other person mentally attached to yourself.

"

It is not the other person who causes the issues for you, but rather your own internal "mechanism".  Even today, my reference to my former wife and love is, as "the mother of my children". Unless I have been sadly misguided and deceived, I am simply referring to her in a way that I believe to be factually and physically correct. If we had not had children, I would be inclined to use a reference, if any were required for the purpose of discussion, such as "a former partner". This then, is a general term and not personalised, such as "my former partner", which would be personal and specific.

"

The difficulty of the close proximity of a "past love" is something of which I am very familiar. It does take a conscious effort to deal with your own internal personal reactions and responses. The first awareness to develop is that it is not the other person who is responsible or the cause for our feelings. We are responsible for our own feelings. Paradoxically, removing yourself from the physical presence of the other person is not always effective for this very reason, since the issue is internal, within us, not external. We can have recollections just by seeing someone similar in appearance, and feel those same yearnings, and consequent feelings of loss and grief. Added to those feelings is one particular feelng, that is very difficult to address, the feeling of rejection. There is real "loss and grief" after the break-down of a significant relationship. I believe that we need to be aware of that and deal with our feelings in those terms. That process can be rather fluctuating with significant ups and downs.

"

It is only when we realise that the other person is flesh, blood and psyche, that we begin to realise that there are other people, who are in our world environment, who can be just as, if not more special, than that person, or others we have loved before. That does not mean that we no longer care about the other person or people, it means a change in the way that we do so. We also process and become aware of a diminishing sense of rejection that comes through developing relationships with other people. When we have other people accepting and liking us, we become aware that what was perceived as rejection was really just a matter of choice, that was not within our capacity to effect or modify.

"

All this internal mental and emotional activity is probably what is causing you to feel the need for hospital attention, rather than any lack of water. The stresses experienced following relationship break-down can closely mimic other physiological effects. I, obviously, know nothing about your life and personal development. I know that I used to believe that there was the “one special person” out there for me, and without that special person I wasn't complete. That was particularly so, when our relationship disintegrated. That belief in a “one special person” was unsound and caused me significant angst and consequent depression. I am now aware that there are many different people "out there", who interact with me, and I with them, at different levels of closeness and intensity. I am still not a subscriber to the idea of free agency (simply looking for the right sexual partner) till we find the so-called "right one". However, I do believe that it is healthy in terms of physical and psychological development to engage with a broader range of people, socially, intellectually and within reasonable, self aware boundaries, physically also.

"

I sincerely hope that you will take steps to extricate yourself from the web of feelings, of the particularly distressing type that you are experiencing at the present time. I believe, that it is only when you accept and accommodate the awareness that you need to take that action, that you will be able to move forward in and with your life.

"

With My Very Best Wishes

HenryX

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes.

I ate a decent amount and I drank two cups of tea and four bottles of cordial (so far). That's about 3L. My legs still hurt, and I pretty much didn't sleep, because dehydration affects your ability to fall asleep too, but much better than I was yesterday.

My phone's acting up, so I can't type to answer the second part of your question, but I'll tag you when I can.

OK, this should be better.

Honestly,  I think part of it was the dread or anticipation that she was going to leave soon and I would have to see her. When I did see her, that thinking BEFOREHAND probably made it more difficult than it would have been otherwise.

I was thinking about how I have made a lot of progress in learning a lot since it happened, especially acknowledging that relationships have to be give-and-take. However, it made me really upset that that's  the best I can say right now, because that's not exactly tangible. I can't  go out with a learning experience. 

Then that descended into suicidal thoughts, because nothing you can do is going to take away what happened... all within fifteen minutes.

Thank you for your support.

@AussieRecharger .

Former-Member
Not applicable

I don't really know... I mean it'll have to happen tonight.

When you're in pain, it's really difficult to see the merits of dealing with something in a healthy way, or making it through a certain situation, as I have said before. "Self-harm hurts, and it's destructive, but not as much as your heart hurts."

I think it will help to focus on coping mechanisms I can use tomorrow, to give me something to look forward to. I might also be able to open up, either to a hotline or someone at work.

@TheVorticon .

Former-Member
Not applicable

A couple of things came to mind here...

First of all, I am going to take it as a fact that I was dehydrated and that it's not just psychological stress.  I am yet to see a doctor, but yeah. That's  kind of beyond doubt.

Secondly, I acknowledge your point around referring to her differently. Unfortunately, "my ex" seems the most natural, since I can't use her name online. It's also relatable. That's the only real reason I use that phrase. It doesn't make sense to say "former partner", because we were never together. I have used "the girl I loved" on here before, but at the same time, that seems a bit unnatural. I don't know.

The stuff around personal responsibility is something I have heard a lot, and I kind of get it? At the same time, I have a mental illness, and so it's  sometimes hard for me to handle certain situations in an "appropriate" way, and more to the point, I am not at the stage where I expect myself to, either. Eventually I'll get there, but not quite there yet.

Thanks for responding though,  I know you put a lot of effort and care into it.

@HenryX .

Dunno if this will help, but this guy has a pretty validating approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wOQohv_0Rg
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance