Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Mental health and the NDIS

What I will say is, if you generally need the help then apply. There should be help available for people with mental health issues available especially if that's what they promised. It's just better that you go in with the knowledge that it's not an easy process and can make you feel like you have to jump through hoops

I am practically house bound, I have never learned to cook, I am a hoarder, I am disorganised, I have little to no social skills, my list goes on. I hold onto a little hope that all this effort may well be worth it if I can get help with just one of my issues.

Super great topic @Kateeg84!

thanks for sharing your experience with the NDIS! I hear that it has been transformative for people with mental illnesses and other disabilities, sounds like it was great for your kids.

I have heard from the Hunter trial site that the access process can be incredibly stressful so it's important to continue to do things to keep flourishing like running, reading, visualising happy things even if you can't access formal supports. I have an access request and my mental health nurse said he will write something for it. What the NDIA want to know about is that you have a "psychosocial disability" which isn't psychological and social aspects of what is and isn't happening in your life. it's defined as the disability experience of having a mental illness. There's position statement written about it and identifies that people with a mental illness may need support episodically, continuously or acutely: NMHCCF Unravelling Psychosocial Disability

People can have a plan of x number of dollars for when they need support and $0 for when they don't need support, basically once you are in the scheme you have it for life. 

I would like to get funding for art therapy and sand play therapy.  My brain functions better when there is plenty of light so I wonder whether I would be able to get better lighting if I needed it under "capital" supports.

If you are already engaged with Partners in Recovery or Mental Health Nurse Incentive programs which are the severe and persistent mental health programs in our community then you are likely to be eligible for NDIS however still need to provide a lot of documentation towards it.

@eth just wondering what kind of support documents you provided or were asked to provide, if it is ok only 🙂

@JasJac  See my post today on the "anyone started with the NDIS?" Thread.  I am also sending them earlier reports from my docs where I lived before moving.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance