Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Aniela
Community Guide

1st day NEW JOB next week, want to quit because I'm so anxious!

I got a job that I want that will give me meaning and purpose. I am not able to sleep. (I only slept 2hrs last night) I have the urge to quit. I'm just so scared of disapproval and getting something wrong. I'm scared of the shame of being perceived as an idiot. I'm worried that I won't know exactly what to do. The not knowing is scaring me. I know it's temporary but I just have a habit of getting jobs and my anxiety getting like this so I quit. I just want to be able to get through until this wednesday. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: 1st day NEW JOB next week, want to quit because I'm so anxious!

@Aniela 

You have got this, I believe in you! It's normal to have a little anxiety around a new job. Just hang in there and give it a go, you have nothing to lose. Meaning and purpose are worth a little discomfort. Do yourself a favour - don't quit! You Can do it!

Meggle

My dear @Aniela ,

Those who have not made a mistake, haven't made anything.

We are humans (well I am)... and humans have flaws. Mistakes are a part of life. Mistakes are not the issue, it is how you bounce back.

Smash it my friend. Dont let thoughts get in the way of your actions. Thoughts WILL come and DO come. Anxiety WILL come and DOES come. Now that you are aware, you can better prepare.

I have full faith in you!

Hugs,

BPDSurvivor

Hi @Aniela ! Congratulations on the new job! Well done! I'm so proud of you!
Anxiety is perfectly normal and I'm sure you'll be fine on the job once you get into it. I've been told that anxiety is about looking into the future and that's often scary as there are many things we don't know and therefore can't control. I have faith in you that you'll be great in the job role and will do the job to the best of your ability.

Take care!

Judi9877

Hi @Aniela,

Congrats on your new job! Enjoy the moment and forget the anxiety! Everyone will take it easy especially on your first few days! Smiley Happy

Take care!

Hi @Aniela 

Did you start the new job yet?

How did you go???

Meggle

@Oaktree Yes! I needed to hear those words. Meaning and purpose IS worth the discomfort!!!!

@Aniela 

Hi hun,

How are you doing now?

Are you feeling better?

Meggle

@Oaktree Thanks for checking in on me. I start this Wednesday. I have been so nervous about even thinking of work, I didn't want to check the respones on this forum. I just wanted to avoid thinking about it. I'm less nervous now. 

@Aniela 

That's great that you are less nervous. I know you can totally do this. I am glad that you got something out of what I had to say. Life is full of discomfort. The thing is to choose your discomfort. This new job is going to bring rewards but not if you don't even try. You have got this.

Meggle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance